June 1st, 2007

NT - Intelligence Riley

Obstacle courses/training grounds

In movies and TV shows about military and training, they always show recruits going through, for want of a better term, obstacle courses.

They run through pits with mud and water, over wooden constructions, crawl under wires, etc.

I was just hoping someone might be able to tell me some proper terminology for what these courses are called and what the different obstacles are called within them. ie. what the actual recruits and (drill?) instructors might refer to them as.

Also, maybe what some more of these obstacles might be in a real course and how long one of these courses might be. Are they in a small area and you repeat them several times, or spread over a larger distance with a lot of running inbetween?

Thanks in advance

P.S. Sorry to hear people are leaving LJ. We'll miss you.